Saturday, March 27, 2010

Come on, ride the train, it's the choo choo train


I've only ever been on a train two times in my life, that I can remember anyway. Something tells me that trains in Europe are a whole other ball game however. What better way to make our way from city to city than by train? Sure its not necessarily the quickest way to get from point A to point B, and with a growing number of inter-European discount airlines, flights between many European cities have become very inexpensive, but there is no other way I would want to travel during our trip than by train. Its such a part of the quintessential "backpacking through Europe" experience. There are several different options when traveling by train. You can purchase point to point tickets which are best when only visiting a few cities, or you can purchase a rail pass. There are many different types of passes, individual country passes, regional passes, select passes (up to 5 countries connected by train/ferry), and global passes (21 countries). Most of these passes are available for both flexible or consecutive travel days and for varying lengths of time. Tim and I selected the 1 month consecutive global pass which will allow for unlimited travel within the 21 countries included on the global pass for one month. It was very exciting to receive our passes in the mail. With each purchase/booking I become more and more excited. I can't wait to be whizzing through the European countryside planning what we will do at our next exciting stop on our amazing European journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment