Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Wiener"


Tim here blogging for the first time, which I'm sure is shocking to the tens of thousands of people who clearly are following along on a daily basis!
This will just be a quick note as I'm sure the real "detailed" Christine blog will follow, but I just wanted to share my learning experience for the day. I feel really quite stupid about this so I am sort of hoping that I am not alone In my lack of "wiener" understanding. Now remember where we are at the present time (Vienna) and do not confuse "wiener" with a certain aspect of the male anatomy!! Anyway for lunch today we had our first taste of Wiener Schnitzel. Now for the moment of potential stupidity. After finishing our delicious lunch I asked Christine why the "Wiener Schnitzel" wasn't sausage. You see I had absolutely no idea what wiener schnitzel was and just assumed it was some sort of sausage since that is obviously what Austrian and German people eat for breakfast lunch and dinner ;-) Now the learning part.... Vienna in German is called "Wien," for some bizarre reason the English language likes to rename cities instead of just calling them by their real local name. So the term "Wiener" is basically just saying that it is from Vienna or "Wien." Well I think I've learnt enough for the day and it is time to shut off my brain for a little while. We'd love to see some comments posted here on the blog to reassure us that there may actually be some people reading this thing!
Lastly,
There is nothing wrong with a male eating a doughnut covered in pink frosting!!! Just saying.

1 comment: